Sunday, May 18, 2008

Trust and Obey


Trust in meeeeeeee!
I was laying in bed at 1:30am this morning thinking, praying and my mind came upon this little song from the Disney Jungle Book movie. I started singing this songs tune changing the words a bit for my own worship state of mind. I sang it like this: I trust in you! I am telling you all this because this was the pendulum that smacked all the other balls of thoughts in to motion thus, baddabing: a blog is born.

Something was a miss singing this tune to God in the form of a worship song. Some thing was not right and it was not the fact that it was 1:30 in the morning and I was wide awake trying to stay on key. No back on note, trying to discover what could be the flat in my song unto the Lord I looked back at its origin. There you have it. The tune I was singing originally said "Trust in me!" SO you ask "what is wrong with that... God does want us to trust in him?" God yes, but these words were sung by a snake in the movie. This tune/tone was not a holy whispered on the wind but rather an enticing, look in to my swirling hypnotizing eyes, trust in me long enough for me to wrap my slithering muscle toned body around you, to strangle you, and swallow you whole, sort of tune. Not the song one should probably think of to use as the melody to a worship song.

So along this line of thoughts focused on trust I decided to pause a moment and reflect on some scripture. Come along with me for the ride!

Psalms 9:9-11 (ironic number placement... it brings to mind a date we all had to trust in HIM!)

The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Psalms 19:7-8

The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.

The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.


You might be wondering why this blog is titled Trust and Obey? It has to do with the bouncing ball pendulum from the beginning of my story. I started thinking about the reasons trusting in God are important. That ball banged against the thought: can I say that I trust in the Lord honestly? Does my life prove my statement? Do my actions, my walk-a-long random conversations, or things I do just because, prove I am whom I say I am? I say I am, by the way, a lover, believer, trust giver, follower of my super awesome Daddy Savior Jesus!

The next ball on the... yes my thoughts are still banging back and forth, nothing slows down the pendulum. I have always believed whom we serve we choose everyday we rise out of bed. With every decision we make, big or small, gigantore, or puny woony, we either choose to serve God or Satan. Our every word can either be life giving or death spewing. That said , as you can imagine, trusting in the Lord takes on new meaning. It does not mean you just simply believe the scriptures enough to throw them around once in a while in a verbal game of dodge ball. No it means doing what one can do to do whats right during every micro measurable second of your life. Sounds exhausting doesn't it? But this is life and death we are talking about right? Heaven at stake, hell the consequence. ( Not for me just those I spew death upon. I know God forgives and my eternity with him is secured:) By spewing I mean the hurting of others, either with words or actions. This happens every time I selfishly seek for my own self, things I want, and care not about others, including what GOD desires. Sure I can John 1:9 it knowing I am sorry in my heart. But what about the innocent by standers that were just run over by a loose tongue on the rampage? How they choose to think of God by the way I act I can probably never undo.

I have some good news to all this stressful talk. It is time for another stroll through scripture.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Psalm 73:23
Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.

Matthew 28:19-20
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

This is good news! We, as we pick up our cross, doing our best to live our lives for our Big Daddy J. C. , are not on our own, out of our own power to do so. As we trust in Him daily, as we choose to listen to his voice and word, as we live and learn from our mistakes He is with us!

Deuteronomy 31:8

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake
you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

But wait there is more! Remember the verse you read that talks about God working all things for the good of those who love him? This is talking not just about the things you done right... pat on the back good job. This verse is talking about ALL THINGS! Those screw up moments, those times we totally drop the ball, the time we spewed death and wished with all our might we could take it back, but just like trying to get excess tooth past back in to the tube, it is just impossible. God says it is possible not by our power but His. Because he is so good, He is willing to work ALL THINGS for the good of those who love him.

Jesus tells us to cast all our cares upon him and take up his Yoke for his yoke is light. He tells us to let Him who is able carry our load... our burdens. So no more living with a woe is me I mess up again syndrome. It is time to live free in Jesus. Daily with him walking in forgiveness and peace and joy. Knowing each step we take we are not alone and when we fall he is right there to make everything right again. It may not seem like every things is all hunky doory. But you can count on his promise he will make good come out of ALL things even our oopsy daisies.

This is the end of my pendulum swinging balls of thoughts. They have knocked on the door of my heart. I hope for you they have done the same.

I leave you with this final note. Trust and Obey willingly, freely, patiently with yourself! For God is a very good God, forever abounding in grace, love and forgiveness. Joyously live as you trust in HIM!

2 Corinthians 7
-8 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

1 comment:

  1. What's that? Trust and obey does not mean censorship of peoples opinions unless they are given the right to erase their opinions themselves.

    ReplyDelete