Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life and Death


John 11:24-26

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"


Martha has just lost her brother to the grave. He has been dead for four days. His body is decaying. If you have ever scene the TV series Bones you know what lies in the tomb is not a pretty site for anyone to behold. Jesus says to roll away the stone and, out walks Lazarus, skin intact, rotting flesh smell and maggots washed away alive as can be. Miraculous! Wow! There is nothing GOD can not do!


But lets back up just a smidgen. Before the first (non zombie/mummy) rising of the really really dead there was a question asked and answered.


The hour has come for the miracle to occur. You have prayed...waited...prayed and waited some more. You're are crying out both in desperation, fear, yet holding on to that strand of hope that there is still time. Nothing is impossible for God! Then the sun goes out and pitch black consumes our sight. The hoped for, the prayed for, denied. Then God shows up and what do you say to him? Do you run to him lecturing him as Martha did.


John 11:21 "Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died"

( I just have to state God's love for us is so big and so wide and so deep. He can handle our frustration outcries!)

Is your next statement another complaint or do you step back and realize he still came, gave his life to be at your side.

Martha's hope returns: John 11:22 "But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

History's story continued : John 11:23-27

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

(Can you see her looking down as she says this. Her hope again spilling out falling to the ground from the creases in her eyes.)

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."


Do you believe this? Do you believe God loves you even when your prayers are not answered as you intended? Do you believe he is GOD!?! Do you believe as Martha even now God can do the impossible? Have you said "YES!?!, YES God I Believe!?!"


There is Life found in death.

My dad survived his second open heart surgery yesterday! Our hope was in the balance we sat for hours and hours; two hours of prep before the surgery and then 7 hours of actual on the table everyone holding their breath time. After receiving the good news from the surgeon when it was over I bawled and bawled. My brother laughed and held me saying " thank God it wasn't bad news if this is how you take the good news."


When all there is left in life is either to live or die people seek God and find him. My dad had joy this morning after waking up at 12am for the first time after surgery. My mom said he was laughing trying to buy ice from the nurses. He has been thanking God, non stop praising him and saying "I love you" to us kids too many times to count. We could all learn a thing or two from him if we opened our hearts and saw with our spiritual eyes. Look and see all that God has done, is doing and see his face as it is always right beside us. We have only to stop looking in the mirror at ourselves and look to the side of us and see him reaching down to grab our hand and lead the way.


Our life begins when we say "YES I believe" and start to really believe in our answer!

Lazarus was raised from the dead! My dad is alive and kissing us on the cheek. He is close to his God whom loves him finding Joy in the knowledge of God's many blessings in his life. How much more alive can one be?

God is at constant work resurrecting us. He is ever on patrol slashing the fear monsters that darken our world and consume us, washing the sin away that decays our souls and keeping the fire of love in our heart from being snuffed out!

Paul's statement has brought new meaning to my life:

Philippians 3:10-11

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.


I not only want to know this power, but like Paul, I want to share it!


May the Lord stir in your heart conversations with him. May you choose to answer his question of "DO you Believe?" And may you not have to face death in the face in order to find the joy, the peace that he truly has to give.

Praise be to HIM!

Jesus be known!

Amen

Embracing HIM,

Tabbitha Ruth


No comments:

Post a Comment